Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cream of Broccoli Soup - Mofo Post 4!


I've been feeling super sluggish and gross lately and couldn't really figure out why until yesterday,  I've been lazy and eating like shit! I must've been in denial. Or too lazy to do anything about it. Welp, I'm done with it. I need energy, I need to get motivated, get moving and eat better. Sure, most of the stuff I post about it is generally healthy but it's the things I don't post about that are weighing me down(literally). I'm closing in on 30, I need to start taking better care of myself.

Even though I sit on my ass at a desk all day, by the time I leave the office, I am beat. Most mornings I get up between 7 and 8 and don't eat breakfast until after I've been settled in at work for an hour or so, usually around 10-10:30. Lunch comes around 1 pm and because of my laziness at night, I don't usually pack lunch so it's off to Chipotle or having something delivered. We always have tons of snacks laying around too so that isn't doing me any good. Neither is all the beer I drink. I don't take vitamins, I don't get enough fruits, veggies, grains or anything healthy really into my body. It's appalling really.

My main, and well, only motive for going vegan was for the animals. I don't do it for my health, I do it for their lives, but that doesn't mean I should put aside my general health in the meantime. It's time to step it up and to help hold myself accountable, I am announcing my intentions here in MoFo. I'm not going on a diet or any crazy exercise regimen but I do fully intend to eat better(not perfectly though, I love cupcakes, damnit) and be more active (with 3 dogs, that really shouldn't be a problem.)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, lets move on to what's really important here. Food.

It was a dreary and drizzly day here in Boston yesterday so naturally I wanted something warm, filling and comforting for dinner. Before I had my realization I was planning on stopping at my favorite veg*n establishment for a big ol' plate of Sheperd's Pie. It really is a huge portion, more than enough for two people. But so GD tasty. I had to snap myself out of it. What could I make (and blog about) that would hit the spot the way something like Sheperd's Pie would but not leave me feeling full and lazy afterwards? A creamy soup! But not one filled with tons of soy cream, fake cheese or potatoes. After a quick google search, and reading the reviews, it was settled. Cream of Broccoli Soup from Joy the Baker it was!

This soup was unbelievably easy and quick to pull together, which was great because I didn't get around to cooking until after 9pm. The main ingredients are broccoli and cashews. The only thing I changed from her version of the recipe was omitting mustard seed because I don't have any and decreasing the water by 1/4 cup, I wanted it super thick. After I pureed everything in my Vitamix I tossed a piece of a crusty baguette in the oven to warm and threw together a little side salad.

I've got like 3 soup recipes that I always go back to during the cold weather because, well it gets cold and I need dependable soups to warm me up. This one has made the cut and will officially be in the rotation for the next few months.



.














4 comments:

  1. Oh YUM. Adding this to my list to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that in my belly. Oh, and your polka dotted plates are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good! I always turn to soup when I haven't been eating well - fast and easy dose of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work days sound like mine! I'm lucky if I can grab an apple before heading out the door sometimes... BUT, this soup looks fantastic, and has my favorite veggie in it too ^_^

    ReplyDelete