Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Apple Crisp for MoFo!



The leaves are turning and falling, the air is cooler, pumpkin beer is back in stores and I am wearing hoodies again... That can only mean one thing. VEGAN MOFO 2012!

This summer was unbearable, hot and humid all day, everyday. I've been begging Mother Nature to make fall hurry up and get here for months. The only thing I have wanted was pumpkin and apple everything, tube socks and hoodies. She finally listened and I can have them all! While fall only lasts a very short while before the bitter cold starts creeping its way to the Northeast, I am going to enjoy the shit out of it while I can.

I am doing MoFo yet again and while I have failed miserably the past two years, I am not holding on to any high hopes that I will succeed this year, but I will try my damnedest. To get MoFo 2012 started on the right foot, I give you Apple Crisp.

Here in New England, this is the time you want to be out enjoying the turning of the leaves, apple picking, cool breezes and the general awesomeness living here provides. While I didn't pick the apples I used for this, they are from New England.

I had a half dozen small Macintosh apples sitting on my counter that had a few small bruises on them. Sure, they were probably still fine, or even great, to eat, but I have a weird relationship with fruit. I can't get past bruises, cuts, dry spots, etc. I needed something to do with these apples so of course I turned to the PPK. A couple people mentioned apple crisp and it reminded me of being in high school, my favorite days were the days it was offered for dessert.

I made my first ever apple crisp and it was fuckin' tasty! I swore I had an apple corer but when I went to bust it out, it was missing so I sucked it up and cut the apples into slices by hand. Even without the corer, this was super easy. Because my apples were so small, I used the smallest Pyrex I had, I wanna say a 6 x 3? Super easy to double and use a more normal sized baking dish. If you have never made apple crisp, or just haven't gotten around to it yet this season, please, go, do it now. Well, finish reading and then go.

Here is the recipe:


6 smallish apples. Or 4 medium-large sized
1/2 cup flour
1/3 vegan butter - slightly softened
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 cups brown sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Core, slice and peel apples. Arrange in baking dish
  3. In a small bowl cut butter and flour together until size of small peas
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle evenly on top of apples
  5. Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is slightly browned and crunchy. 
  6. Let cool and inhale the shit out of it. 


The only thing that would've made this better was some vanilla soy ice cream or cashew whipped cream. Next time.....















4 comments:

  1. Love step 6! I will definitely be eating some apple crisp soon thanks to your drool worthy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delish. My mother-in-law gifts everyone bushels of apples this time of year. I'm going to Pin this for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessss to pumpkin and apple everything! This is the best time of year, and I thoroughly intend to embrace the crap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks easy to do and delicious. Yes, a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream on top of that when it's hot out of the oven would make it perfection!

    ReplyDelete